Guten Tag! Hola! 你好!
Welcome to my monthly language learning round up…
August was an exciting month for me as I introduced German into my language learning routine. Exposing myself to approximately 10,000 words per-day! It was an interesting challenge that I approached with an open and positive mindset. You can read more about the challenge here Trisha Tests: 10,000 words a day challenge – the outcome.
Whilst doing the challenge I also managed to get to the intermediate section of Flash Academy – YAY moment. I really do like this app and would highly recommend it. Finally, I have been reading a number of popular children’s books online in German via the fabulous site Amira.
Chinese Mandarin Recap
I attended the Monthly Mandarin Meetup that I started in my local area over a year ago now. It was really nice to meet other Mandarin learners face-to-face and play some games. We also had some members of the local Chinese community come and join us for a quick chat too. I have noticed how rusty my spoken Mandarin has gotten.
Recap on Other Language Business
I hosted an online coffee morning in aid of Macmillan Cancer support and launched the 50 different languages challenge. At the time of writing this, we are at about 30 different languages so far. If you would like to partake in the challenge or simply donate some money to Macmillan Cancer Support check out my post the World’s Biggest Online Coffee Morning.
September is set to be the busiest month of the year for me so far. Not only is my daughter starting secondary school – feeling very old now. Language learners Journal also turns a year old!
Now for some language goals…
- I recently purchased ‘German in 30 days‘ by Berlitz. It’s a beginners CD and audio-book. I will be using this throughout September.
- I will continue to use Flash Academy App for about 10-15 minutes per day.
- Continue to learn 5-10 new Chinese characters per day via ‘Hello Chinese’ books and Chineasy: 60 Flashcards: The New Way to Read Chinese.
- Brush up on my spoken Mandarin.
- I need to do a lot of behind the scenes admin for the local Mandarin Meetup Group this month, booking rooms and promoting. We are hoping to launch our very own website as many of the members do not use Facebook. The face-to-face group will continue to be free and we hope to attract some more members.
- Spanish will be popped on hold this month as I have so many things on the go at the moment and I need to remember to look after myself. Which is an important lesson for us all as we can not pour from an empty bucket.
Language Learners Journal
- In September Language Learners Journal will become a not-for-profit social enterprise! With the aim of promoting language learning especially in areas of deprivation, improving confidence, self-esteem and cultural diversity both online and externally. I personally feel it is now more important than ever to learn another language and about other cultures. Especially due to Brexit and as race hate crimes also appear to be on the increase.
- I will be continuing to offer some initial free 20-minute one-to-one online coaching sessions for those struggling with language learning anxiety and confidence issues.
Join Clear the List!
For more information or to join #Clear the List, click here.